St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Dublin.
Dublin is the place to be for St. Patrick’s Day.
The city’s St. Patrick’s Festival is the biggest event of its kind in Ireland.
This year’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade will celebrate Dublin’s designation as a UNESCO City of Literature with the words of Dublin author Roddy Doyle.
The parade pageants will interpret Doyle’s new short story “Brilliant”, which was written for St. Patrick’s Day.
This arts, culture and craic festival will bring together pageantry, literature, performers and spectacle.
Here are some festival highlights:
- Dublin Swell – Words & Voices from the City of Literature: Cultural evening celebrating Dublin’s UNESCO City of Literature designation with Irish writers, actors and musicians.
- Literary Treasure Hunt: Fun, free event in the city’s cultural venues.
- Trad Trails: One-hour performances in free, open-air venues with traditional Irish music, song and dance.
- St.Patrick’s Festival 5km Road Race: Fun family run through the streets of Georgian Dublin.
- Text in the City: Irish comedians will race to make audience text messages funny.
For more info, check out the St. Patrick’s Festival 2011 site.
Here are more scenes from St. Patrick’s Festival:
Images courtesy of Tourism Ireland.